Thursday, July 22, 2010

What a Gee

James Paul Gee is my new hero.

His article said everything about the educational potential of videogames that I have been afraid to say. As an avid videogame player, and proponent of games in the classroom, I've long wondered how far I could take many of the arguments that Gee makes. The fact that he even mentions shooting type games in his argument, makes me all the more excited about my new ally. I would never have vocalized the argument that shooters can teach problem solving, teamwork, and procedural knowledge, even though I think it's true. I have a hard time believing shooters will ever justifiably be used in the classroom, but it really made me happy to see somebody taking the videogame argument all the way.

I'd like to share some of my own experiences to help illustrate some of Gee's points. I've never had much of an attention span, and I've been fortunate(?) enough to find school quite unchallenging for much of my academic career. As such, I've cruised through most of the assignments I've ever had, performing the bare minimum to get the grade I desire. In fact, until my later years of undergrad, the only sustained, active, mental engagement I experienced with any regularity, was in the form of videogames.

Now before you write me off as a total loser, you should consider some of my virtual accomplishments: I've built towns, cities, and empires; I've solved murders and averted nuclear disasters; I've won heavyweight titles, PGA tours, and world championships in every major sport. Hell, I've even won a Superbowl with the Detroit Lions! Who's a loser now?

You're probably questioning if the digital accolades I've accumulated are worth the countless hours I've "wasted" in pursuing them. My short answer? Hell yes. The sense of accomplishment I felt when I finally brought the Lombardi trophy to The D, was on par with those associated with many of my "real" achievements. Maybe the players were fake, but the hole I left in my living room wall when I chucked my controller in victorious excitement was very, very real. And I genuinely believe I learned something, too.

Sports videogames are about more than moving fake athletes around on a screen. You have to negotiate injuries, trades, and contracts. You have to balance player needs, personalities, and salaries. Many people don't realize it, but the bulk of the time a gamer needs to take a team from season to season on the road to a championship, is spent on the managerial aspect - piecing together the various components of a championship organization. The same can be said for conquering the world in Civilization IV or becoming successful in The Sims. The amount of time kids are willing to dedicate to those tasks, is of an educational importance that we would be remiss to ignore.

4 comments:

  1. Noah,

    I really enjoyed your post. One--you are definitely not a loser and I admire that you could take our own Detroit Lions all the way. I like playing video games, but I'm not very good at them. Except for Galaga. I totally kick a** at Galaga.

    I like that you say that games are sustained, active, mental engagement, especially because so many refer to video games as "mind-numbing" activity. You bring up a lot of good points that help illustrate what Gee discusses which helped me understand his concepts better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow virtual Superbowl winner with the Detroit Lions, I totally see where you are coming from. Sports games can be very challenging. If you turn the settings up high enough, every move you make must be analyzed. Is it worth signing this player for X amount of dollars if I am going to end up with a crappy player elsewhere on the team. Gee didnt mention sports articles much in his piece, and I am glad you did.


    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being much of a gamer myself, I am nonetheless enthusiastic about their use and how they can be used to construct problem solving skills. For example, I am a master at packing odd shapes into suitcases thanks to Tetris. How that has helped me in getting from place to place with the maximum usage of space in my car is invaluable.

    Jesting aside, I would like to hear your thoughts on how we can apply gaming to English. As I'm looking through our English group blogs I can't help but notice a concern about the applicability to our subject matter. I have a single idea, as a nongamer. So I am very interested in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Noah,
    Like you, I would advocate video gaming in the classroom. All of those amazing feats you mentioned in your video game adventuring were accomplished by means of skill-building. That is to say, you developed problem solving, mental agility under time pressure, strategy, etc. Those have real-life application. Video gaming strategically aligned with curricular instruction could be valuable.
    MIndy

    ReplyDelete