Thursday, July 22, 2010

This Was Due by Monday

So.... I clearly have some issues getting my "post-class" reflections in on time. I need to work on it.

That being said, I'm here now, so get ready for some serious reflecting.

Twitter: Not a fan.

At first, I was really intrigued by the prospects of Twitter in the classroom. I thought simple messages would be a great way to keep students interacting with the material in a different and fun way. I imagined a room full of enthusiastic students, diligently working on their assigned material, and harmlessly tweeting things on the side like, "Algebra is cooler than I thought!" or "Shakespeare... Awesome!" Instead, I witnessed as our own class became totally distracted by this "tool."

Now I realize that last week's class was not the fairest representation of Twitter implementation. Many of us were asked to experience Twitter for the first time, and I'm sure the novelty was a large part of the reason we were so easily taken off course. I also realize that most school-related Twitter tasks will be assigned for outside of the classroom, and that some dialogue about things unrelated to class can be healthy for students. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that even the mere endorsement of Twitter can be contained in a constructive way. If we not only allow students to set-up Twitter accounts in class, but encourage their use as a part of our curriculums, we are going to lose their attention.

Now, I also understand that most high schoolers don't bring laptops to class, and that any Twitter assignments would most likely be conducted at home. This still presents problems for me. In short, I just think it will be too hard to control what students Tweet about. Whether their posts are merely unproductive, or downright harmful to their teachers or peers, I just don't think the opportunities outweigh the drawbacks. I appreciate being exposed to Twitter as an educational tool, but I don't see myself using it in my own teaching.

Cheating: Also not a fan.

Ok, obviously I'm not a fan of cheating, but I think the implications of cheating go far beyond just academic dishonesty of students. I completely agree with the article we read about the cheating problem being a reflection of a bigger problem in our educational system. An emphasis on accountability changes a students' focus from learning to doing well on a test. When that is what is important, students will attempt to achieve it by any means necessary.

I personally believe, as I stated in class, that we need to reconsider what cheating really is. If the emphasis is on information, we shouldn't worry so much about how students obtain it. Is there really a harm in using the internet to find an answer to a question? In the real world, students will have access to computers. The ability to use that technology to answer questions is as useful as the answers themselves.

I realize I'm being idealistic here, but I think cheating is a reflection of a bigger problem, not the problem itself.






2 comments:

  1. About Twitter... I think I'm with you in that assigning students to use Twitter, kind of like we're doing in class - "post X number of tweets by Friday..." is pointless and won't get anything accomplished. A better way to do that sort of thing is with blogs, in my opinion. I think that if we do use Twitter in the classroom, it should be a more open-ended thing, like we teach them how to get some benefit out of Twitter, who they can follow and what they can learn. I think that's where the benefits in the classroom come from, by creating a learning environment, not forcing tweets out of students, because you're right, we'd totally lose their attention. If there was a way to incorporate Twitter so that they could actually see the learning value, not the social aspect, then it could be good, but I think it will present quite a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noah,

    You make an excellent case in advocating for integrated video gaming classroom instruction. The skills you developed by means of gaming (problem solving, strategy, and performance under pressure have real-life application. However, I think that video games should be carefully aligned to instructional curriculum, and the skills or knowledge acquired should be strategically considered.

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete