Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tweets and Cheats

Hmmm... some really interesting ideas brought up in the readings for tomorrow's class. On the one hand, I really like Hadley Ferguson's thoughts on Twitter as an educational tool. I think she makes some great points about how Twitter is not only a great way to connect people, but also is simple enough to keep things moving along. 140 characters can say a lot, but not too much, and that can be really useful in managing ideas on a greater scale.

I was a bit confused by Kate Conley's rebuttal to Ferguson's article. I didn't really interpret Ferguson as advocating a maverick approach to learning. The article is all about creating learning networks, how is that suggesting learning by one's self? I think the value of Twitter is about the greater network that can be created, and I don't think Ferguson was saying anything different.

A lot of the research I've been doing in our other classes has lead me to articles about the importance of collaboration among teachers. For all the burned out educators out there, there are definitely some teachers who really care about improving their craft. By collaborating with other progressive minds, they can not only improve their ideas, but also maintain the motivation to keep fighting the uphill battle of educational reform. Even a simple tweet from a friend across the country can remind a discouraged teacher that there is still hope.

With regards to the Sessums article on cheating, I think he makes a REALLY good point. I think the logic he is applying with regards to looking at why students cheat, rather than how, is the same type of logic that should be applied to examine many different facets of education. I am totally against high-stakes assessment, and I think the fact that such tests encourage cheating is just one of many reasons why they're whack. The same could be said about restrictive curriculums in general, and the ways teachers respond to them that make them ineffective educators.

I also think it should be noted that high-stakes assessments don't only encourage students to cheat. When the results of a test can determine the amount of money that comes into a school, teachers and administrators can fall into the trap of unethical practices. We need to develop strategies that compel students to actually learn material, rather than hold onto it for as long as they're being held accountable.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of great ideas are swirling around here. There is new research showing that test scores go up if you pay kids to take them. Talk about anti-Deweyism!

    You also say, "For all the burned out educators out there, there are definitely some teachers who really care about improving their craft. By collaborating with other progressive minds, they can not only improve their ideas, but also maintain the motivation to keep fighting the uphill battle of educational reform. Even a simple tweet from a friend across the country can remind a discouraged teacher that there is still hope."

    Amen to that. Since I was often the only one in my building who taught what I did, having an external network became very important to me. I think tomorrow will bring us some really interesting conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that the "why" is more important than the "how" when it comes to students cheating. I also think you make a great point that high-stakes assessment can encourage schools to take unethical approaches, too. When there is significant abuse of a system, I think that is a good indication that the system itself is problematic.

    ReplyDelete