Friday, August 13, 2010

Housekeeping

Alas, the 13th is upon us, and I still have some loose ends to tie up on this here blog.

First, a brief reflection on the summer term for ED 504...

I am really enjoying the class, and looking forward to more to come. I'm a tech guy, and I think the potential for technology in the classroom is REALLY exciting. I can't wait to try my own hand at implementing blogs, podcasts, videogames, and more, into my own teaching. I believe in what we discussed about not using technology solely for the sake of using it, but rather finding the ways that high-tech methods can be truly more useful than conventional alternatives.

I was also really impressed with a lot of the questions that we brought up as a class about some of the challenges to implementing technology. Issues like distraction, privacy, resources, etc., are all very real concerns for the tech-saavy teacher. I will be very interested to here about my classmates' various experiences with technology in their placements, and hopefully we will be able to further develop our awareness of what is useful, practical, and possible, in our own classrooms.

Oh, and I really like Civilization IV and Community High School, in case I forgot to mention that earlier ;-)

Second, I wanted to post links to the two posts by edubloggers that I commented on for our summer assignments:

Activity: Helping Students Find New Books by Bill Ferriter
http://teacherleaders.typepad.com/the_tempered_radical/2010/07/activity-helping-students-find-new-books.html

The Big Lie (Thoughts on Why School Is Not Only About Workforce Development) by Chris Lehman
http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/1255-The-Big-Lie-Thoughts-on-Why-School-Is-Not-Only-About-Workforce-Development.html

I believe that fulfills my summer assignments. This makes 11 posts, in addition to the 5 comments a week on my peers' blogs, the two podcast assignments, and the comments on edubloggers blogs.

I'm off to play some golf; see you all in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment